This pages summarizes the planned volumes in a series of books I have started on “Getting Stuff Done with Magento 2”, available on Kindle. (For iOS and Android devices there is a free Kindle reader app; there is also a browser based “cloud” reader as well.) The goal is to provide another perspective on Magento 2 development from the official product documentation at http://devdocs.magento.com/.
I am writing this series in my spare time in the evenings, separate to my day job. This means progress is likely to be slow. Another activity that has taken up a fair bit of time is defining a Docker container to simplify learning and development with Magento 2 – see Running Magento 2 on Docker for more information.
Sample files for the book series can be found at https://github.com/alankent/gsd-code-samples.
Currently I am planning on the following volumes in the series. This is list is non-binding.
- Magento 2 Primer – a general introduction to Magento and background reading for other volumes. This volume has breadth, not depth.
- Building simple stores using themes (previous volumes) and extensions from the Magento Marketplace, then getting it deployed in production.
- PHP for Magento developers – a crash course on PHP for programmers, focusing on language features and style relevant to programming in Magento 2.
- Domain and Service Layers – persistence, business logic, REST and SOAP integration.
- Presentation Layer – controllers, blocks, etc.
- Deployment and Configuration – Varnish, Redis, memcached, etc services.
- Commerce Concepts – exploring key module service contracts around concepts such as browsing products, cart, checkout, and shipping.
- Omnichannel Commerce – expanding the vision to the newer products in the Magento product range.
If you have topics of particular interest, feel free to leave a comment for consideration.
For other related pages, see the “Book” menu at the top right of this page.