Magento has released a Release Candidate for 2.1. This post is a request for extension developer feedback on the process around this RC so we can learn and improve our processes.
Here are example questions that we would like feedback on, but all other feedback welcome.
- Has it been useful to get a RC before final release?
- Have we given sufficient time before GA to allow you to get your extension tested against the new release? Can we shorten it? Do we need to lengthen it?
- Has sufficient supporting information been provided with the release? What information has been useful? What information is missing?
- Where were the greatest problems with upgrading your extension?
- What was your experience in updating your extension in the Marketplace? How can we improve it?
One example area that I am wondering about is for extensions that have not required any modification but require a new composer.json file to update the compatibility dependencies. Due to Composer repository caching, this will require at least a patch release of the extension to get the updated composer.json file. How was your experience to get your extension updated on the Marketplace?
Release 2.1 is the first upgrade using the new strategy. I am sure there will be potential for streamlining the process to get extensions updates available. The whole goal is to provide the smoothest upgrade experience for merchants (and the solution partners supporting them). Feel free to leave a comment on this post, or send me a direct message.